Saturday, September 15, 2007

FoodiePrincess' Pretty Dang Good Salsa


I've been making my own salsa for years, and the more experiementing I've done, the more I've realized that there really is no "world's best salsa." My husband thinks the salsa at Tin Star is the best. I like the warm salsa at Cantina Laredo. Some people swear by the salsa at Matt's Rancho Martinez. But while this is true, I do have a recipe I like best.

I made this Pretty Dang Good Salsa last weekend, and it was a big hit with our guests (Classy&Sassy and her husband among them). The bottom line is: if it involves tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, cilantro and lime juice it's all good. The rest is just gravy, or in the case of my recipe, the rest is just ancho chilis, cumin and corriander.

2 Tbs. olive oil
12 Roma tomatoes, halved
2 Yellow onions, cut into eighths
2 JalapeƱos, seeded and quartered
1 Poblano pepper, seeded and cut into strips
4 Garlic cloves
2 Tsp. oregano
2 Tsp. + 1 tsp salt
2 Tsp. fresh ground black pepper
3 Canned ancho chilis in adobo, chopped
¼ Cup of lime juice (or the juice of two limes)
½ Cup chopped cilantro
½ Tsp. sugar
1 Tbs. cumin
1/2 Tsp. Corriander

Preheat broiler in oven to 500°.

In a glass baking dish, combine olive oil, tomatoes, onions, jalepenos, poblano pepper, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until all the veggies are covered in olive oil and spices. Place the dish under the broiler for approximately 30-40 minutes, checking every 10 minutes to stir veggies. The onions will begin to burn a little at the edges, but this is okay—it will just be more flavor in the salsa. You do want to make sure that the tomatoes have started to get a little blackened as well.

Pull the veggies out of the oven and let them cool a little bit. In a food processor or a blender, add the cooked veggies, 1 tsp. salt, the ancho chilis, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, coriander and sugar. Blend until your desired consistency. I like mine pretty smooth. You can serve warm or cool. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Among the greats of restaurant salsa, you must acknowledge the green salsa variety at Luna de Noche (my personal favorite). I just thought it couldn't go without being mentioned.