Thursday, October 25, 2007

Classy&Sassy's Top Five Crave-able Dallas Dishes*


*Plus nos. 6-10 (the runners-up) &

Five Things Other People Crave That I Really Don't Get!


FoodiePrincess was on to something, so I thought I'd sit down and list those dishes that I come back to again and again. And those that I wish I didn't live so far away from, so that I could come back to them again and again. I was surprised at my list, and I think you will be too. There is something to be said for "comfort food", and no matter how adventurous an eater I think I am, or how much I really do like squid, these are the dishes that really melt my butter (oh, Truvy). And, before you ask - No, you can't have a bite of mine. Order your own!



1. Cheese Burger
The Porch
2916 N Henderson Avenue, Dallas

Yes, it's listed this way on the menu – two words, capitalized. This is indicative of the respect paid to the good ol' American standby at The Porch. It's big, drippy, covered in cheese and makes everything else just fade into the background as soon as you take the first bite. There is also a “Stodg Burger” with foie gras and a fried egg. Haven't had it - but if you have, let me know what you think!



2. Cru Steak Pizza
Cru Wine Bar
3699 McKinney Avenue, Dallas

Sliced beef tenderloin, mixed greens and balsamic vinaigrette resting atop a golden, crisp, homemade pizza crust. And, it's designed as a perfect match for a variety of wines. Both classy and sassy. 'Nuff said.


3. Southwest Egg Rolls
Two Rows Classic Grill
5500 Greenville Avenue, Suite 1300, Dallas

I don't care that they've started to refer to themselves as a “Classic Grill” instead of a brewery. Whatever the hell that means. I don't care that pieces of flair will inevitably follow. I only care that these little babies are pure heaven. Forget the shameful iterations of this dish that you've had elsewhere – these are huge, packed with filling and (wait for it) deep fried to perfection. Add a beer and call it a night.


4. Soft Chicken Tacos
Mi Cocina
3699 McKinney Avenue, Dallas (and various other area locations)

I'm stumped by these tacos. The chicken is perfect: moist, and seasoned to the point of rendering all taco accompaniments unnecessary. How do they do it? This is not diced pre-cooked chicken breast floating in an all-encompassing brick red grease slick. This is the real thing. I would venture a guess that someone's grandma taught them how to do this. I've even gone so far as to beg a friend who used to work for M Group Restaurants to try and get me the recipe. He was unsuccessful, so I'll just have to stick with enjoying them on the patio in the West Village, with a Mambo Taxi.


5. Cuatro Leches Cake
La Duni
4264 Oak Lawn Avenue and 4620 McKinney Avenue, Dallas

Does dessert count, FP? If I get to decide, it certainly does! I'd challenge anyone to find a more beautiful, decadent, masterful dessert than this one offered by La Duni. Vanilla sponge cake soaked in Tres Leches sauce is topped with caramelized Swiss meringue. Two sauces – gooey caramel and even more Tres Leches – take it right over the top.


Close Seconds (rankings 6 – 10):


6. Cheeseburger
Snookies, 3604 Oak Lawn Avenue, Dallas (and various other area locations)

7. Spinach Quesadillas
Gloria's, 4140 Lemmon Avenue, Dallas (and various other area locations)

8. Eggplant Parmesan
Eatzi's, 3403 Oak Lawn Avenue, Dallas

9. Pho (chicken recommended)
Pho 95, 9780 Walnut St Suite 120, Dallas

10. Carne Asada
Mia's, 4322 Lemmon Avenue, Dallas


Five Things Other People Crave That I Really Don't Get:


1. Freebirds

2.
Tomato Basil Soup at La Madeleine For that matter, anything at La Madeleine. How much overdressed salad and room temperature quiche can one person tolerate?

3.
Taquitos from Whataburger My husband is not the only person to wish he could just liquify and mainline these tortilla torpedoes. Me, I don't see the big woop.

4.
Krispy Kreme I sincerely hope that the Krispy Kreme craze has passed. Someday we will
look back on our momentary lapse of reason and laugh. Probably in a "Early 2000's" edition of that silly show on VH1 that makes fun of parachute pants and Diff'rent Strokes.


5. Canh Chu at Green Papaya I love that you love it, FP
...but I just don't get it.

6 comments:

RobinBrant said...

I could talk all day about my issues with La Madeline. The only reason I go there at all is because I frickin' love their French Onion soup, and it's right next door to my office.

What is with the chicken in all of their dishes? They use the same oddly flavored chicken strips in everything from the Caesar Salad to the pastas to the chicken pot pie, and it gives me the creeps, big time.

Anonymous said...

Oooo, Oooo! Finally, someone else who hates Le Madeleine as much as I do! So. Gross. Barf.

And, when I think taquitos, I think of the DeliMex or whatever brand that you get frozen at the grocery sto'. Those are good eats with salsa and sour cream when you are drunk. The first time Lydia took me to Whataburger after a night out drankin', I was so disappointed. A soft taco is not a taquito...

Hi! I'm Lydia's Tim, by the way, for anybody who was wondering. I'm just too lazy to get a Google/Blogger account, and I couldn't make Lydia do all the work on our blog if I signed up!

Classy&Sassy said...

Nice to meet you Tim! RE: La Mad - what the-? People just go nutso over this place, and it's really nothing to write home about. Cheers to you for joining the resistance.

elizabeth said...

I love the Stodg burger. I would never have tried it on my own, but I'm forever grateful to my friend Jacob for introducing me to it.

And I have love the Whataburger taquitos too. I get even more excited when they're 99 cents!

Jennifer said...

The main thing that I love about La Madeleine is the Tomato Basil Soup. It's delicious! I don't get Freebirds...Chipotle over Freebirds any day. You don't like Whataburger taquitos??? I love the bacon, egg and cheese taquito. Oh, memories of being drunk and Whataburger drive-thrus! My favorite is the Bacon Cheeseburger from Two Rows. Normally, I am not a fan of bacon on a cheeseburger (sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen) but, I cannot resist the honey pepper bacon from Two Rows. It's so yummy!

Megan said...

I crave the Prime Rib dip from Houston's. I rarely go but I crave it often. Delicous. The rest of this I agree with totally.