Thursday, February 5, 2009

I See Hummus in Your Future...



This week's Appetite for Instruction features a delectable hummus recipe from Cosmic Cafe.  I can personally attest that it is one of the best versions of this classic Mediterranean dish that you'll ever dip a pita in - thanks to not one but two secret ingredients.

Cosmic Cafe is an Oak Lawn institution, decorated in colorful murals and exotic statues (the fellow above watches over the parking lot).  Owner Praveen Sachdev reports that his hummus is one of the restaurant's most popular plates, and he took his sweet time coming up with the perfect palate-pleasing formula.  A full menu of vegetarian delights is also available, including samosas, quesadillas, tacos and more.  

The shaded patio at Cosmic Cafe is one of my favorite spots for rest and relaxation, and now you can enjoy a taste of that nirvana in the comfort of your own home.  Enjoy!

5 comments:

Eddie G said...

Thank you! I love Cosmic's hummus!

Anonymous said...

I know what I'll be whipping up this weekend. I love the idea of adding a little pickle juice.

Classy&Sassy said...

Thanks, Eddie! Thanks, Gammypie! :)

This really is a great recipe. One note - when I tested it at home, it turned out a little greener than I expected. Probably b/c my "bunch" of cilantro was generously sized! I love cilantro, though, so that was cool with me. If you want to be on the safe side, just add a little at a time.

Also, I wondered why Praveen called for so many fresh ingredients but then used garlic powder. After eating the dish, though, I realized the rationale - garlic powder gives you garlic *flavor* without nearly the risk of garlic *breath*. Maybe because it doesn't have all the natural oils. :0)

Lisa

Food Czar said...

I love to tinker with recipes. I think you make some great discoveries that way. I'm particularly fond of roasted red pepper hummus.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the nice posting..........

___________________
Smarry
The only Satellite Television Delivers the Best Value in Entertainment