Oak Cliff Earth Day was a blast!
I attended the OCED 2009 festival at Lake Cliff Park last Sunday - along with about 7,500 other earth-loving folks. What a gorgeous day to celebrate the planet! In addition to exploring dozens of eco-friendly vendors and exhibits, I munched some tasty treats and met some real characters. Here are a few highlights from the event:
1. First and foremost - the food! Right inside the stone pavilion which served as the entrance to the festival, several restaurants and food vendors were offering yummy things to eat. Bolsa, It's a Grind (see smiling faces above), Marble Slab Creamery and Kessler Cookie Company were just a few of the tempting choices...
2. ...but I only had eyes for Spiral Diner. This brownie lasted exactly 1/10 of a second after the picture was taken. It was amazing. (Thanks for the tip, Eddie!)
3. Speaking of sweets, I'm sorry to report that these colorful cupcakes were inedible. You put them in your bath. Hmph. Not sure how I feel about the food-themed toiletry craze - but they sure look cute.
4. Susan and Brandon Pollard of the Texas Honeybee Guild were in full costume for the festival. These "Urban Beewranglers" offer bee rescue and relocation services, in addition to various products and educational programs. (Maybe Jason should give them a call.)
5. There were adorable dogs everywhere you looked (like the blonde cutie above), and lots of pet-centric booths. I picked up a few samples of Innova holistic pet food for Max at the Green Pet tent. He liked the cheese puff treats almost as much as I liked that brownie.
What a wonderful, feel-good day. I'm so glad I made the trip to the OC to see what it was all about, and I've already marked my calendar for next year's event.
p.s. Earth Day is coming up tomorrow, and I'll be celebrating at Mockingbird Station. How 'bout you?